Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Point of view of a freshly scrubbed floor

I actually run a scrub machine at my job. Every night I close at a grocery store, I have to dust mop the entire store and run a scrub machine. What goes through my head as I'm doing it is "if stock crew messes this up in the morning, I'm going to be pissed." Allow me to explain something to you: a bagger at any store is at the bottom of the food chain. If anything goes wrong that a bagger could have possibly played a role in, the bagger is held responsible automatically. It doesn't matter if he/she did it or not. They are held accountable. For instance: say I was bagging a lady's groceries and her eggs get broken. It does not matter if the eggs were broken because the cashier slung them down the ramp, the bagger is automatically assumed to have broken them, because they are the last person to handle them. While I'm talking about my job, here is another thing that I find annoying: whenever I talk to a customer, do you know what the first thing out of their mouth is? Are you in school? "No mam, I plan on bagging groceries the rest of my life!" That is the most condescending remark I have ever heard. Just because I am bagging groceries at a grocery store does not mean I don't have ambitions. The next thing the customer does is even worse. They act astonished that I'm in school. "Oh really! That is so good. Keep up the good work!" I loathe it with a passion.
Anyways, one thing would go through the mind of a freshly scrubbed floor: please don't let anybody mess me up. The floor knows its going to get stepped on, but it does not want to have anything spilled on it. So the next time you are in a grocery store, please don't mess up my floor. Do it for the floor's sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment